Came across the bones of a really interesting game you can play with your deal team at your next after action deal debrief/lessons learnt meeting.
Handout a piece of paper to each of your deal team members and ask them to rank, in order of priority, the top 5 reasons – from the following list – why the customer is happy to pay your fees in full (no discounts/write-offs, etc allowed):
- Demonstrated an understanding of the customer’s business/industry throughout the deal
- Demonstrated an understanding of relevant law
- Responsiveness to customer’s requests – phone/email/meetings
- Built good rapport and a trusting relationship during the deal (was in the trenches with the customer)
- Used expertise to help save the customer money (either on the deal or fees)
- Used Legal Project Management techniques to stay within the deal scope and didn’t allow scope creep without first taking to the customers
- Used technology, AI, Legal Process Outsourcing and value adds to make the customer’s life easier during the deal
- Offered the customer a great discount
- Hourly rate was attractive to the customer
- Any other reason(s)
Remember, they can only pick 5. And they need to be in order of priority.
I would love to hear feedback on which five were the most popular chosen.